Thursday, August 14, 2008

Weston Boy


If only they could stay small and innocent like this forever! Weston had his well check today and is doing great in the height and weight department but after talking about some of the sensory things that he does and his lanuage delay the doctor asked me to fill out a questionaire to help better determine where he was 'at'. There were about 20 or so questions and after I filled it out the doctor and I talked about the "results". It's called the 'mCHAT' test... She put a transparancy over the check list and there were white, blue and red squares. If your child scores 2 or more blue OR red boxes they fall in the 'spectrum' of Autism...Weston had 4 blue boxes. Let's just say I really wasn't prepared to hear the 'A' word - whether it be to have my fears confirmed or just because there really is NO preparing for that, all the same...to qoute my friend "It's like being hit by a Mac truck!" The doctor and I talked about the therapies that we start next week (speech and OT) for Weston and how this will really help. She said that we would wait until he's 2 (which is in 2 1/2 months) and then do the questionaire again to "really see" if this is what 'label' he falls under...so now we work really hard, pray really hard and hope that everything we do 'sticks'. I am thankful we have so many who love and support us and while I wan't really sure if I wanted to post this or not - I knew talking about the appointment over and over would be too hard for me. So here we go again and we'll jump in with both feet and pray that the Lord will carry us through - because I know I cannot do this without him!

10 comments:

gina said...

You are amazing and whatever the outcome your kiddos are lucky to have you as their Mom. He is a doll face, I love that age.

karis stapley said...

He is such an adorable guy! We pray that all turns out well for you guys! But yes, whatever happens, you are so great that I know you'll handle it well!

Valerie said...

Thank you for sharing! Sometimes it is knowing you have to talk about it with people makes it even harder. You are a rock star, though, and I know you can handle it regardess of how it goes. Hang in there, you...

Alishia said...

We love you and will help however we can. Especially with the baby coming, be sure to call. You aren't one to ask for help, but remember that you don't have to do this alone. It takes a village to raise a child!!

Eric and Breanna Graham said...

How lucky your kids are; They get to have you as a mom!

Lorena said...

I am so impressed by you, your patience, and your faith. I know that no matter the outcome you will take it all in stride.

Erin said...

Hang in there Amy...the Lord knows you are the perfect mom for those kids. You know what to do and are the best at doing it. I will check in with you later this week.

Pam said...

Weston is so adorable. Many prayers will be going out for you. I agree with everyone else though you are definitely the mom to be able to handle anything. You are so organized and great with knowing what needs to be done in every situation. I know you will be blessed.

Varney Family said...

Thank you for all of your support and praise - while I'm not entirely sure it's TRUE - it's appreciated... I will say now I have a great defense for having the "routines" that we do :-) I mean other than my OCD. Thanks guys!

Kurt, Christine and kids said...

I'm so sad we're not closer to help. Your family will be in our prayers. And you have to let me know when the new one comes so I can come visit. Not that I need to use that as an excuse to come by. It just helps get me there. Give the kids big hugs for all of us. We miss you guys.